Kentucky Law Blog

Mark’s Notes on Legal Topics of Interest

Will your insurance handle an injury on your property?

If you own a home in Kentucky, the chances are that your mortgage lender requires you to have homeowner’s insurance. This insurance will cover any property losses in the event of a natural disaster or crime. Your insurance should also have a liability portion that will protect you in the event of an accident on your property, according to This is the portion of your insurance that will cover someone who gets injured on your property.

If someone gets injured on your property, he or she could sue you for medical expenses and any other related costs or losses that result from the injury. If you have insurance coverage, though, your insurance company will handle any claims and pay the expenses. This allows you to protect your assets and avoid having to go to court.

You should review your policy to make sure that you have this coverage. It is personal liability insurance. Check your policy to see if it shows up and check the amount of coverage you have. Medical expenses from an injury can be quite expensive. If you do not have enough coverage, then you could still be at risk for a lawsuit unless your insurer can reach a settlement within your policy limits.

You also want to check into the types of coverage you have. Namely, you want to be sure you have boldly injury and guest medical coverage, which is what will pay medical expenses for an injury. Also, ensure that you know exactly what types of injuries your policy covers. This will allow you to add coverage if needed. This information is for education and is not legal advice.

On behalf of Mark Knight Attorney at Law